This is my moms family recipe. A crowd pleasing comfort food that uses the help of some store-bought ingredients. Easy weeknight meal or great for parties.
Baked PastaCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: PastaDifficulty: Easy
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 cup cooked ham
1 cup diced onions
1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breast (I use a store bought rotisserie chicken)
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1 jar (26 oz) store bought spaghetti sauce (I use the Ragu sauce flavored with meat)
1 lb penne/macaroni/rigatoni pasta
1 can (8 oz) cream of mushroom soup
1/2 stick of butter
1 bag of shredded Italian or Pizza blend cheese
- Cook pasta until al dente (per directions on the box). Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat oil then brown ham over medium low heat then add onions and continue to cook until it caramelizes but not burned.
- Add shredded chicken sauté for about 2 minutes. Then add the spaghetti sauce and bell pepper to the mixture and simmer for about 4 to 7 minutes. Turn off heat then add cooked pasta to the sauce and set aside.
- In a small pot, cook cream of mushroom soup per directions on the can. While simmering, add ½ stick butter. Once cooked, turn heat off and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Evenly arrange the pasta mixture into a 9” X 11” baking dish. Next, evenly pour the cream of mushroom mixture over the entire pasta mixture. Once the pasta has absorbed all the soup, sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Then take out the foil and broil for about 5-10 minutes or until top is golden brown
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.