Baked Mac and Cheese
Who doesn’t love noodles and cheese?!
Baked Mac and CheeseCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Here is an easy mac and cheese recipe. The original recipe is Joanna Gaines’ recipe which I added my own modifications to.
16 ounces fusilli corti bucati, cavatappi, or elbow macaroni
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
8 ounces processed cheese, such as Velveeta or cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 ounces Trader Joe’s Cheddar & Gruyère Mèlange (or just Gruyère) cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
8 ounces white or yellow Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Cook the macaroni until al dente according to the package directions. Drain thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, position a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and butter and heat over medium-low heat until warm and the butter is melted. Pour over the pasta. Add the Velveeta or cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of Gruyère cheese, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, mustard, nutmeg, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir until well combined.
- Pour the pasta into a baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining Gruyère and Cheddar cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the baked mac and cheese from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.